Tuesday, January 22, 2013

Deployment Journal - Day #193

There is so much I don't get done every day.  I meant to send that birthday card, wanted to wash the bedding, vowed to do yoga no matter what came up, juice the oranges before they rot, organize, vacuum, blog.  At some point every night, I have to just quit.  Soak the dishes, walk up stairs, lie down.  

Need to finish that photobook.  Clean up those files.  Scrub the toilet.  Write that darn book review.  Reply to nine ignored emails.  

The list isn't finite.  It has no end.  

I must still think it does.  I keep trying to reach that end.


* * *

Sign language is revolutionary for Little One.  She learned new signs somewhat instantly, implementing them immediately and forevermore.  My job is to deduce which new sign she needs to learn.  I.e. What current lack of communication/sign is the biggest frustration in her world.  

So far, our most successful identification of what she was trying to say occurred when I taught her the sign for "Music."  

Oh my, this kid loves music.  Her mobile, which plays Brahms.  The toy phone, with a song button.  The musical cardboard books from Grammy.  The song she wants me to sing, while changing her diaper.  The nursery rhyme game she wants to play.  The radio.  Recordings of Daddy singing to her.

Because "Music" can signify a few dozen options around here, it's a game, trying to deduce exactly which form of music she wants.  

But, she's pretty good at indicating.  Signing "Music" while pounding my laptop lid, then signing "Sleep?"  (Lullabies)  Signing "Music' while trying to clicking laptop mouse.  (Means: YouTube.)  Signing "Music" then wriggling all her fingers above her head and squealing?  (I WANT TO PLAY THE PIANO.)


Her mental economy is simple right now.  She takes life one need and desire at a time.  She still confuses needs and desires (don't we all?) but she is infinitely better than I am at simply going from one to the next.  She sleeps until she's rested, and then she wakes and wants food.  She nurses until she's satisfied, then plays piano for a while.  

It's a good approach to life.

No comments:

Post a Comment