Monday, January 21, 2013

Deployment Journal - Day #192

Today, the toilet got fixed for real.  This was the third visit from a repairman, and this guy finally just installed a whole, new, shiny, metal hose.  Hoorah.

However, the garage door failed for the 3rd day in a row, for a completely new reason:  It was frozen to the ground.  So, when you pressed the button and it tried to open, the ceiling runner would bend and groan and started ripping off the walls.  So, I stopped pushing the button, and called Maintenance, a little wide-eyed.

They were not sympathetic.  

"Well, we're not sure when we can get to you--"
"Oh, uhm, I'm trying to GO somewhere and I kinda can't leave my house until you--"
"Ok, well maybe we can get you in today?  We just had an emergency call from another resident."
"Well, my garage door runner just ripped partially off the ceiling."
*long pause*  "Ok, we'll do you second," he conceded.
I smiled weakly, recalculating my day while dragging Little One back out of her carseat.  "Thanks."
"Will you be home during the next two hours?"
*my own long pause*  "Uhm, yes.  Evidently, I can't leave.  Because the garage door--"
Oh yeah, yeah, yeah - ok, we'll be there as soon as we can."

I hung up, chuckled, and thought, "Morons!"  Then chided myself for silent name-calling.

The Maintenance Dudes are actually quite a bit more competent than their dispatcher.  So they told me to boil some water, (my gosh, are we having a baby?!) and then we poured tubfuls down the front and back of my garage door to free us.  It was quite simple, and I could have done it myself.  I could not, however, have re-rigged the tension and cables and chains that got messed up when I first pushed the button.

So we were all hanging out in the garage for quite a while.  I couldn't resist asking, "Don't you have best practices for this?  I mean, what do the bases up in Alaska do?  It's much colder there - do their garage doors all freeze shut?"

"Dunno.  We don't make a lot of long-distance calls to find out.  Too 'spensive."

Life is humor.

No comments:

Post a Comment