Monday, August 6, 2012

Deployment Journal - Day #23

Today was our last phone call with Husband for a long time.  It was horribly ironic, because try as I might, I couldn't even croak.  I hissed, "I LOVE YOU!" seven times before he guessed that was what I was trying to communicate... so, mostly I listened to him and tears rolled down my cheeks.  I think I'm legitimately too exhausted to be brave, but I felt like a royal wimp.  And I felt truly bitter that I was sick, and voiceless, on possibly the worst day ever...

* * *

K, I'm (mostly) over my self-pity session now.  I pulled myself together, and drove to the library to exchange our movies rentals, much to the chagrin of the librarians, who acted like I had the plague.  Small wonder, I do sound horrible.  I tried to assure them (while choking and whispering fervently) that I was in-no-universe still even-remotely contagious, but they covered their faces while swiping my video barcodes and waved me away furiously.  What a cheering bunch.  But hey, I have movies for another week.

* * *

I pushed the stroller to a nearby garage sale tonight.  Scared the neighbor ladies a tad with my voice, but most of their husbands are doctors and the men seemed to hardly notice my wracking cough and crazy voice.  Whew.  I bought two sleepers and one dress with the spare coins floating around my purse and felt duly triumphal.  And suddenly dizzy.  

So, we headed home to drink more broth and watch movies.

No comments:

Post a Comment