Sunday, July 22, 2012

Deployment Journal - Day #8

Went to the park this morning; a mommy-kid playdate was happening, and I was invited.  I didn't originally think it'd mesh with our (Baby's) nap schedule, but when I woke up to her persistent wailing at 4:30 a.m., I decided the schedule was malleable today.  And Momma needed morale. 

It was a hassle getting out the door.  One diaper explosion, several unexpected phone calls, and a malfunctioing laptop (read: serious cause for panic; that laptop is my coping mechanism) we were on out way, only slightly late.  I trotted, even jogged a bit, and hurried around the final corner.


But, no one else was there.  The park was silent.  Motionless.  No birds, even.  I felt like a 3rd grader, with no lunch table to join.  I seriously considered stomping.  Or spitting.

Baby was fussing, so I parked her stroller and set her on my lap, while I aimlessly drifted back and forth in a swing.  Wow, it's been a long time since I've sat in a swing!  These things are super uncomfortable!  Ugg... Must get out!  Man, vice-grip on my hips here!!!Baby began wigging, hysterically.  A rapid check. 
Oh wow.  She's ecstatic!  She loves swinging! 

My deflated heart soared; why had I never thought of taking her swinging before?  Of course, my little mover would love swinging!  Ah, swinging.  What fun.  Such a memory.  Too bad I don't have my camera.  We could send Daddy a video.  Ah, Daddy...
With a sigh, I stood up and put her back in the stroller.  We'd waited twenty minutes.  Clearly, everyone else had lives that didn't involve loitering at the park.  Like me.  Except, I do have a life.  That's why I can never make these meetings.  Ok, it's because naptime conflicts, but still.  That's life...Now we were walking towards the commissary.  I was hungry.  Breakfast had gotten skipped, and now it was almost lunchtime.  I'd buy some sushi.  Yes, that'd cheer me up.  Walking faster now.

Five minutes later.... there was no sushi.  Not for another half hour.  Gosh.  This is not going well.  I can't afford another half hour; Baby is squirming already.  I despondently rolled past the clearance section... CHICKEN!  Ohmygosh!  50% off, with another $1.50OFF coupon?  Yes, please!  Nothing like coupons to perk me up.  I bought about 5 lbs.  The freezer couldn't fit more, I knew.  Too bad.  What a deal.  I was getting legs and thighs for $0.40/lb.  Go me!

I couldn't resist walking past the park again.  It was on my way home.  Baby was really fussing now.  But, the park route is the shadier one anyway.  Wait - is that them?  Yes.  It was.  There was everyone, mingling and chatting.  They'd all been late.  I almost laughed. 

But, it was too late now.  I had to go home.  The chicken was thawing in the sun, and Baby was pounding the side of her stroller.  I paused, waved, told them about the great sale on chicken, and then headed home.  The hill felt extra long.  The sun was scorching.  The sprinklers were on at an unusual time, so we had to veer around them.  Baby dozed off about two minutes from home.  Dangit.  Maybe I should have just stayed at the park, and had her sleep there?  But, she wouldn't have slept, watching all the kids play - she's so social... Oh well.  At least, I had chicken.  And a brief encounter with society.

No comments:

Post a Comment