Friday, July 20, 2012

Deployment Journal - Day #6

The first week is almost over.  And bedtime is getting easier; I no longer feel weepy when I brush my teeth alone, and the irrational nighttime "what-was-that-sound?!" fears are fading.  Tho' I still carry my cell phone with me, everywhere. 

(Ha.  Like it'd help, if someone really did crash through a window.  But hey.  It's like my security blanket.  Don't knock it.)

Surprising realization of the week:  I really like weeding.  It's cathartic.  Especially that awesome cracking sound when you get an especially big one, along with all its roots, and drag it out into the sunlight...

We went to a neighbor's house for supper (her husband is deployed, too) tonight, then babysat another neighbor's two boys until about 1 a.m. (her husband is home - but there was a military event all evening, and she needed to go along).  The idea was that the boys would sleep for most of their visit, but at ages 1 and 3, who could have expected that in a strange house?  :) 

Also, I ate cherry cobbler for breakfast today.  And lunch, actually.  I found leftovers in the back of the fridge, and despite the 100% natural composition of my whole-wheat, organic, preservative-free dessert, it was totally unspoiled.  So, I decided it was roughly the equivalent of whole grain toast with butter/jelly, and declared it a meal.  Definite comfort food.  Stuff like this keeps you going.

The fridge looks so strangely empty now.  I normally feel annoyed at how fast we blaze through food, and how often I go back to the commissary, three times after I'm sure I got everything.  But now, looking at that odd collection of yogurt, chicken, cheese and juice and a huge head of cauliflower, (how am I ever going to eat THAT?!) I feel mournful.

I can't wait until he's back.

No comments:

Post a Comment