Wednesday, July 18, 2012

Deployment Journal - Day #4

On the heels of yesterday's vicious blahness, this morning I decisively fed Little One, then packed her, the diaper bag, my cell phone, wallet, and water bottle, and drove a lengthy hour to the nearest mall.  I justified the gas usage because we needed to make a Costco trip, and Costco is about 3 miles from the mall.  But, we needed frozen food from Costco, so naturally I couldn't go to Costco until the end of the day. 

And if I'm gonna use this much gas, it's gonna be a full day.

So, we picked up something for Daddy, and a new top for Mommy, and spent about 5 of the 8 hours in the car feeding Baby-who-can't-focus-if-there-are-people-around, and letting Baby-who-must-have-her-naps sleep in her carseat, and hiding in fitting rooms, letting Baby-who-is-a-wiggleworm roll and squirm and bellyflop around her blanket, giggling uproariously.  The poor people in the next fitting room were so confused.

Really, it wasn't much of a shopping trip.  But, it was ridiculously helpful to have new places to go, new things to look at, distractions galore to occupy my mind.  The ache of missing Husband is constant, but it eases if enough other thoughts crowd it to the side.  Any thoughts, really.  So, an abundance of colors and textures and pedestrians did the job.

But, by the time I got home, unpacked everything, re-organized the freezer, fed Baby, and conjured up some food for myself, I was tired beyond all reason.  I fell into bed around midnight, thinking about my neglected to-do list but hardly caring.

Maybe next week, I'll do this again... 

No comments:

Post a Comment