Saturday, October 20, 2012

Deployment Journal - Day #98

Not feeling like a great mom lately. Little One had an undigested leaf in her diaper yesterday, and a sliver of bark today. (Don't ask me where she finds these things on my perpetually immaculate floor... *rolls eyes*)

During church last week, I let her play with a snack-sized pack of M&Ms; she loves all crinkly items right now. Suddenly, during the prayer, she squealed atrociously and as I hastily touched her lips to hush her... there was chocolate. Lots of chocolate. She had squished and chewed and bitten a wee hole and sucked and sucked and sucked. Oops.


Then, while I was making dinner, she chattered over a pile of cardboard. She was a mere step away from me at all times, so I felt like a very attentive Momma. Until she suddenly gagged. And I saw a shimmer. Turned out one of the pieces of cardboard was actually the new set of tiny, tin hair clips I'd bought for her. "Oh noooooo!" I rushed over and fished two out of her mouth, and counted the missing ones. Six. Where were they?! Had she seriously eaten them?! No, there was the red one. And the purple one. Whew. I found all but the green one. My heart sank. Would it perforate an intestine? My blood pressure hovered above normal for twenty minutes until I suddenly found the green clip. And breathed again. She contentedly cooed the whole time

Still unnerved, I took her into the bathroom with me, and closed the door. And stared at her. Lest she eat the shampoo or something. But, she played with the doorstop excitedly (I've removed all the white rubber tips by now - which defeats the purpose of a doorstop, but keeps her from choking. Yay.) and I stood up to wash my hands.

Less than ten seconds passed and I heard the sound of paper. She had opened the cracked door and disappeared. Probably was getting into the my basket of piano music -it's a common temptation. Dripping water, I leaned out the door. She was nowhere. I darted into the hallway, looking left towards the kitchen. Nothing.

"Gaaaah!"


There she was, six steps up the staircase. She'd never climbed at all before. I nearly had heart failure.

Good thing kids are durable. Wish my adrenal glands were.

No comments:

Post a Comment