Monday, October 8, 2012

Deployment Journal - Day #86


The end of summer means the last of my harvest.  Last night was the first below freezing.  Today, the grass was crunchy and my trees were abruptly gold-tipped.  I've been drowning in massive zucchini; now the onslaught is finally tapering.  I'm relieved. 

And sad.  I love my little garden.  I don't know if I'll get another summer with this garden box, the one my husband built me so sweetly when I was pregnant and feeling hyper-nurturing. 

It's made from old redwood, the only kind that the base approved - we had to hunt and "steal" it from the old housing area, before the demolition.  The lumber lengths we got form an odd rectangle; Husband bolted it together so securely that we can't take the box with us when we next PCS.  But, I've finally got the clay-meets-sand soil all doctored up nicely and my plants were so happy this year.  *sigh* 

So, it felt a little bit sentimental when I plucked my final zucchini this morning.  It earned a photo.

No comments:

Post a Comment