Sunday, September 23, 2012

Deployment Journal - Day #71

Another good day today.  Another rough night last night.  Baby is teething, and also still traumatized from so much travel; her little body can't seem to find its internal clock again and she wakes up every hour or so, all night long.  

I, consequently, can't fall asleep, braced for the inevitable shriek that occurs, predictably, just when I'm entering deep sleep.  Y'know that horrible, electric bolt of adrenaline that sears through every nerve, from toes to ears?  Yeah.  That one.

After a week of this, neither of us can sleep.  She whimpers all night, even when dozing.  And my body jerks awake every time start to I drift off, sometimes rushing into the hall before realizing that she's not even crying.  I imagined it that time.  But then, I'm hot and cold and sweaty and disoriented and it takes me another 40 minutes to relax and drift off again.  And then, it repeats.

We're a tired mess.  Which means I'm huddled on the couch during every nap-attempt (mind you, as soon as I drift off, about two minutes pass and then she shrieks like she's being attacked, then bursts into hysterical tears.  EVERY SINGLE TIME.).  Which means that the house is a mess, because I'm too tired to even do dishes, much less sort mail.  

Somehow, it was still a good day.  Probably because we talked to Husband/Daddy.  Also because I accomplished a ton, in spite of my exhaustion.  We're finally unpacked.  We assembled and mailed another box.  There are even fresh zucchini muffins on the counter.  Go me.  I'm a trooper.

Now, let's take drugs and sleep tonight, shall we?

No comments:

Post a Comment