Saturday, September 22, 2012

Deployment Journal - Day #70

Google advised me, "If you're using Butternut Squash seeds taken from a grocery-purchased squash, it may be wise to consult your produce manager and inquire if your squash is the bushing variety or the vining variety."

Well, my seeds came from my neighbor, who excitedly wanted me to plant her seeds in my garden box.  Seems her husband hasn't found time to build her planters yet, and her son loves butternut squash puree.  "And it's so good for them!"  

Well, the garden is pretty much empty now.  I'll try a little row of 8 seeds for fun, thought I. 

So, I obligingly planted her seeds, and up they sprouted, so cute and tiny and orderly.  I never consulted the produce manager.  We've been a bit busy.

Then, I left for a month.  A different neighbor watered while I was gone.

I came back and found this



... Pretty sure mine are the vining variety.

No comments:

Post a Comment