Wednesday, August 22, 2012

Deployment Journal - Day #39

Today, slightly before 5:00 a.m., we left for the airport.  I felt sure I had forgotten something.  But, everything went smoothly - my obsessively detailed plan for packing the last few items, loading the car, waking and nursing and changing Little One, and emptying the trash one last time worked perfectly.  I re-checked the house twice.  Within ten minutes of our goal time, we departed.  I drank my chocolate milk breakfast and began to decompress.

My sweet neighbor helped me carry the bags inside the airport.  We checked in on time.  TSA was merciful; my visions of inefficiently bumbling with bags didn't happen.  We strolled up to our gate with 45 minutes to spare.

I was basking in my triumph, feeling almost giddy with relief.  Little Daughter was happy, enchanted with the other tiny humans in their parents' arms.  If I'd forgotten anything, at this point, we'd buy it at Walmart.

Several minutes before boarding, a thought whisked across my mind.  Instantly, that icy, electrical shock of adrenaline obliterated my glee.

... I forgot to grab her carseat.  It's still in the car, driving home right now.

Awesome.

1 comment:

  1. Sigh. That rush of adrenaline must've been miserable after being up so early! =(

    ReplyDelete