Tuesday, August 21, 2012

Deployment Journal - Day #38

Several days ago, I got a brief note asking if I wanted to write several book reviews for a national women's group.  My friend knew I was interested in some new freelance work, and she didn't have time for this gig; hence, a kind Facebook message to offer it to me.

I panicked.  I still had to find a ride to the airport, and get my spare keys from Neighbor A to Neighbor B, and I hadn't showered in three days, and one more not-on-the-list task felt like just too much.

But, she was right.  I had been looking for this.  It was a great match for me.  (Theoretically.  No one involved knew I was still in my pajamas at 4 p.m.)  I drank a glass of milk and calmly replied that "Suuuure, I'd love to - pass along my info."

Evidently, she did so.  I got an email from the NY editor for said publication.  Could we talk?  Virtually meet?

Ever breezy-on-paper, I repeated my enthusiastic-sounding phrase, "Suuuure, I'd love to!"  In my head, I was thinking, "Noooo, I need at least 96 hours!  Why couldn't this have happened LAST week?"

But, the little optimist on my shoulder said, "What's a quick phone call?  How hard can that be?"  My evil pessimist spat and replied, "Ha!  How little you know!"

Fortunately, nothing happened for a day.  Unfortunately, I spent that day in terror.  Finally, emails were being exchanged, I was explaining my travel schedule, and we were finding a mutually good time to "meet."  It would work out.  

Except that I have no idea how I'm going to squeeze writing into this nutty trip we are about to take...

No comments:

Post a Comment