Wednesday, August 15, 2012

Deployment Journal - Day #32

My stress took a new turn as I tried to make an orange-dream-sherbet cake for the Squadron picnic this week.  Short Story: It took HOURS and massive quantities of effort, and the cake was sub-par.  

It was supposed to look like this:


It didn't look like that.

But, two attempts and four packages of cream cheese later, I called it good enough.

After a carefully plotted schedule that involved Daughter sleeping and waking and feeding EXACTLY on schedule, while I kept the cake frozen, I had planned to - at the last possible moment - put the cake into the pre-loaded-into-the-car-and-pre-chilled-via-bags-of-frozen-strawberries cooler, on top of ice bricks, to extend its life.

It didn't fit into the cooler.  It was exactly .00037cm too wide.  I compromised and put it on top of the cooler, nowhere near the ice bricks.  We nearly died from hurricane-force air-conditioning.

I arrived at the picnic promptly, but the parking was full for several blocks.  By the time I packed Daughter, the cake, the ice bricks to keep the cake cold, a blanket, and my belongings into the stroller, and strolled to the park, I was late.  I had to elbow my way through the crowd to put my cake on the table.  Cake started melting immediately, in spite of the ice bricks.

It all seemed futile, besides - there were plenty of desserts, not mine.  Blah.  Why did I try so hard?  I should have brought M&M cookies from the deli.  Like everyone else did.  All the kids loved them.

Several of my girlfriends ate the smooshy creation, out of sympathy no doubt.  But, I was left with about a quarter of the pan, one part oozing and one part crusting during the scorching drive home.  

Pretty sure I've never enjoyed dumping anything in the trash quite that much.

No comments:

Post a Comment