Tuesday, February 22, 2011

Sorry I could not travel both...

Most military spouses desperately want to get stationed abroad.  Somewhere.  Possibly anywhere.  I’m among the non-picky – I’d take anywhere.  I love America – but I love traveling.  I love new cultures, new places, new people, new mannerisms, new languages…  So yes, I frequently ask dear Husband, “Any OCONUS billets?”  And last year, we made it across 23 contiguous states... but no oceans.

However, one thing I love about our current station is that the international world has come to us, in the form of "Republic of Singapore Air Force."  And by "come to us" - I mean, our whole world is shared.  The other half of our duplex belongs to a sweet Singaporean family.  Many of our kindest neighbors are Singaporean.  And they are as excited to be here, as I would be in England.  =)

I met Allison at PWOC - she just arrived from Singapore with her husband, three children, and family cook/maid - and was an instant delight in my life.  She and I became walking buddies - and she braved the frigid hundred-MPH gusts like an Alaskan native.  So did her 1 year old.  Go him.  Then, she invited me to her home, to eat delectable pineapple pastries and a noodle lunch... aww!

We went out to pizza after church with their family, and in between the natural cacophony of public family eating, we discussed everything from real estate markets and cycles of business growth, to social views of children and the age-old Security-vs.-Liberty debate.  Jerediah, Allison's husband, explained that Singapore falls very firmly on the "security" side, and was fascinated to hear arguments for "liberty" instead.  (Husband and I had just finished judging a 2-day debate tournament, and could easily defend either side, after listening to hundreds of teenagers attempt to do so.)

It warms my heart to see them enjoying my country so much.  They are psyched about putting their nearly-five-year-old son on the soccer team.  Visiting REI (for the first time) was like glimpsing Utopia.  AWANA, gymnastics classes, Bible studies, skiing - all these things are novel luxuries to her, and she is so grateful for them. 

It's convicting to me.

We may or may not ever go abroad.  But, military life compels living in the present - lest you go nuts, thinking about the future.  So for today, I'm super-thankful to have Allison, whose awe and excitement remind me of all the blessings I have here.  And for the awesome international section of our commissary.  And for the excellent sushi bar.  And for the library, with all its travel videos.  And for all the little dark-haired children, playing out front.  And for all the joy and variety and perspective they bring to my otherwise homogenous little world.

No comments:

Post a Comment