Wednesday, January 5, 2011

PWOC Couscous Recipe

This post is for the ladies of PWOC who, despite my insecurity over bringing “healthy” food to a kickoff event, kindly bestowed many affirmations upon me and even *gasp* asked for the recipe!  (Maybe they were just humoring me, and won't ever see this post, but it helps my ego to think they might, hehe.)

So, in honor of my fellow military wives, who shop at the same commisary as I, here is what you ate earlier:

-          2 boxes of “Near East” couscous (found near the rice) – I used one box of “Garlic/Olive Oil” flavor, and one box of “Toasted Pine Nut” flavor
-          2.5 Cups of Water w/ a TBSP of chicken “Better than Bouillon” (or bouillon cube)
-          1 package of pine nuts (if you want – they’re in the normal “nut” section)
-          1 Green Pepper, diced
-          Parmesan (grated, to taste)- we buy the actual cheese and grate it, to save money, but any kind would work, I think
-          Mrs. Dash (original flavor, to taste)
-          Lawrys Seasoned Salt (to taste)
-          Coconut or olive oil (2-3 TBSP - don't worry, it's a "good" fat)

Ok, so bring the water/bouillon to a boil,along with 2 TBSP oil, then remove from heat and add the couscous (just like the side of the box instructs).  Toast the pine nuts (if desired) in a frying pan with coconut/olive oil, or on a cookie sheet (lower fat option) – but beware; they burn.  Fast. 

Fluff the couscous with a fork, after ten minutes or so of “setting” and then add the pine nuts, the green pepper, the parmesan, salt, and Mrs. Dash.  (I probably used about ¼ cup of grated parmesan, two shakes of the Mrs. Dash, and one shake of the salt.)

Of course, you can change the ingredients – I often do.  Add minced onions, mushrooms, grated carrots, chopped celery, peas, corn, roma tomatoes, garlic, ginger, pretty much ANY vegetable or spice.  Whatever sounds good!

For example, tonight I had a tad of leftover couscous salad.  Not enough for dinner, but too much to toss out...

SO, I added a can of (drained) pinto beans, and the “tops” of three peppers (chopped, for a little extra substance  =)), then stuffed the peppers full, and topped with cheese...


I put them, uncovered, in a dish in the oven (with a smidge of water in the bottom) and baked for 30 minutes on 350 degrees.
 ... YUM!

3 comments:

  1. Thank you!!! Can't wait to cook it for my family....it really was GREAT!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yay, so glad to provide inspiration =) I will add pictures, as soon as tonight's dinner finishes baking =) I didn't take pictures of today's salad, not anticipating such a positive response!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That looks amazing!!!! Keep the healthy recipes coming :)

    ReplyDelete