Tuesday, October 16, 2012

Deployment Journal - Day #94

Life Realization #971: By the time you have adequate perspective and wisdom for parenting, you'll most likely be a grandparent.  Or a great-grandparent.
 
 
I'm realizing that each generation of parents does life a little differently than the generation before them.  Even if you liked your parents and think they did a great job, you'll still deviate from them at times.  You have to.  It's a new era, a new setting - and you and your spouse and children form a unique (completely different) family dynamic.
 
I'm still figuring how when and how to deviate from what our parents did.  But, one thing I find myself frequently grateful for is how incredibly good my mother was with small children.  She understands them, and they understand her.  Silliness, fun, patient instruction, and endless compassion characterized my early years.  And my siblings' early years, too.  Which means I, being a teen by then, got to watch Mom being goofy and creative and low-key with them, too. 
 
Tonight, when I laid Little One down for her diaper change and she began to whine, I instinctively whipped out her elephant puppet, and started making it talk in strange voices.  She giggled, then laughed, then guffawed.   I chuckled with relief, handed it to her to examine, and swiftly changed her diaper, while simultaneously sneaking quick bites from my apple (read: supper) and listening to voicemails on my cell phone.  In that moment, it felt effortless.

But, this is my first kid.  She's tiny.  I am not experienced at this.  I won't be experienced at this for another few decades.
 
So, to the (small) degree that I am a fun, relaxed, let-her-dent-the-pans-and-tear-up-the-magazines type of mother already... I learned it from my mom.

No comments:

Post a Comment