Monday, September 17, 2012

Deployment Journal - Day #65

Arrived back home today!  Positively giddy.  Beyond giddy, even - almost irrationally ecstatic.

I love everything.  My kitchen, my tea cabinet, my crummy carpet, my still-not-draining shower - it's all WONDERFUL.  Just driving my own car again is incredible.  The autonomy of being in your own place just can't be replicated, no matter how sweetly the collective world hosts you.  

Baby was on a high, too - I swear, she remembers this place, even after a month.  She squealed over her old toys and hysterically crawled everywhere, shrieking and giggling and babbling crazily.  Maybe my mood just rubbed off on her, but she was too excited to even drink her milk at bedtime. Unfortunately, 'happy' soon turned into 'hyper.'

Around 10 p.m., after wresting for a solid 45 minutes with her constant popping up and peering frantically around the room and trying to chatter and grab everything, while also trying to drink, I finally decided to relocate to her dim bedroom and feed her in the rocking chair, and see if she'd calm down.  

We settled into her rocking chair.  It's an old, sturdy rocker with flowers carved into the back - it was the same one that her daddy was rocked in, as a baby.

(Sidenote: Before this past month of constant travel, I rocked her before bed about 95% of the time, and I was honestly concerned how she'd do without her "rocking" routine during our weeks of little-to-no-routine. And thankfully, she did adapt ok, tho' it definitely took longer to get her sleepy each night without that chair.)

I had left the bathroom light on, so she could look around her room, and not be scared of going to bed in yet another new place. We sat down and I started to hum, and she cuddled against me and relaxed. 

But then, she jolted, sitting up abruptly.  She reached out and began tracing the flower pattern on the back of the rocking chair. She used to do this a lot, nearly every night.  But I never thought she'd remember that specific ritual!

Nope, she did remember and started cooing and stroking the pattern lovingly, talking to it, and glowing at me.

It warmed my heart.  Rather deeply.  I got a little teary, it's true.  And soon, she was yawning and rubbing her eyes, and soon went to sleep without another peep.  

I, on the other hand, hardly slept all night, I was so wired and elated.

... Blessed home.  We love it here.

No comments:

Post a Comment