Tuesday, September 11, 2012

Deployment Journal - Day #59

It's tricky, growing up. 

My family has always been close.  Especially my mom and I.  I was her helper, the oldest girl, the consciencious one, the non-rebellious teenager.  We've almost always agreed... on almost everything.  So now, it's disorienting when I disagree or deviate.  We don't have an established dynamic for that.

How do I communicate that I need some space, without hurting feelings?  That I'm planning to wean my daughter sooner than Mom did, but I fully support what she did, too?  Or that I'm not as persuaded by that herbal remedy we were all so excited about, now that I've researched it more?  How do I convince my dad that I really don't need to be reminded to take my shower or refill my gas tank?  I don't want to shove them away.  I've seen kids who did that, and it hurt their well-meaning parents deeply.

Besides, it must be hard, after decades of parenting, to stop.  I know they mean well. They care so much.  But, I feel like it was easier for all of us to navigate adolescence.  They were aware of my rising desire for autonomy, back then.

And then, I look at my Little Girl, and wonder... how on earth will I do this?

No comments:

Post a Comment