Friday, July 27, 2012

Deployment Journal - Day #13

Rule #1: "Don't watch the news." 

The principle here is not to expose yourself to anything that will make you worry more.  Fine idea.  Looks great on paper.

We don't even have a TV, so you'd think it would be easy for me.  But, I love politics.  So, the internet is my friend; I have my little crumb trail of websites that I browse daily.  And naturally, they all started posting photos of war-torn nations and military violence, as soon as Husband left.  Before he left, actually.  Seemed like it started as soon as he got orders.  Figures. 

Moreover, every doctor's office and autoshop has opinionated magazines strewn all over, and a TV, babbling endlessly.  Usually set to a news network.  And I HAVE to get my teeth cleaned, and we HAVE to get the oil changed, so what's a girl to do?

Fortunately, I'm pretty mentally tough (<-- See?  Mantra HERE.  Positive self-talk, even if delutional, is huge for me...) so I've been able to block out most of the upsetting headlines and images so far.


But see, I've been re-watching The West Wing.  Yes, all seven seasons.  Don't judge.  Fond college memories warm my soul every time the familiar intro music plays... such gratifyingly quick dialogue, such tight arguments.  Ahhh, I love this show...

... and I totally forgot how ridiculously-many military crises were in this series.  *wide-eyed*  Of course, I'm a softie for storylines, so I can't turn an episode OFF, until I finish it.  And most of these episodes require you to watch the NEXT episode to find out who is really, permanently dead.  So, on I go.

And there I lay, late at night, with visions of exploding SUVs and hostage situations and nine starched-collar leaders deciding the fate of thousands of soldiers everywhere, in that dramatically-portrayed Situation Room... AHHHH!  What have I done?


So, I switched to innocent films.  Girl movies, kid movies, etc.  What harm can come from Disney, right? 

... I have never cried over a stage kiss like that before.

Can't win, people.  Every song, every photo, every time I make a protein smoothie... I think of him.  Rule #1 is impossible.  

I'm just going to miss the guy, and worry a little, K?

No comments:

Post a Comment